"Winter Rules" are usually in force from November 1st until March 31st and include the following:-
- Preferred lies on all closely mown areas
You may mark your ball, lift and clean it, before replacing it within 6 inches no nearer the hole.
When course conditions warrant it, preferred lies are sometime extended to all areas ‘through the green’ A notice will be posted on the whiteboard outside the Professional's Shop when this is in effect.
- Relief from plugged balls in all areas ‘through the green’
You may mark your ball, lift and clean it, then drop it as near to the original position as possible, but not nearer the hole.
- Tees and Temporary Greens - Compulsory Relief
If your ball comes to rest on a teeing ground or temporary green (marked by a white circle), you must mark your ball, lift it and drop it within one club length of the nearest point of relief that is not nearer the hole.
- Relief in Bunkers
Except in Qualifying Competitions, if your ball is in a bunker you may without penalty mark your ball, lift and clean it, rake the bunker and place (not drop) the ball as near as possible to the position from which it was lifted. Please re-rake the bunker before moving on.
- 'Through the green' means anywhere on the course except tees, greens and hazards.
- When a ball is dropped under the situations described above (or any other relief situation) it is allowed to roll for up to two club lengths from the point it first strikes the course, as long as it doesn’t come to rest nearer the hole than the original position.
For details of any other temporary Winter Rules, see the whiteboard outside the Professional's Shop or check with the guys in the shop,