We have a very friendly and active Mens Section at Mapperley Golf Club and we run a wide selection of club stroke play competitions, knock-out competitions and matches against other local clubs.
We have up to 200 members playing in Qualifying Competitions every Saturday in the summer season and team competitions throughout the winter. Summer competitions are 'drawn', with members putting their names down in hourly time slots, so it is easy for a new member to get a game and feel part of the Club. Competitions are also held on some Sundays and most Thursdays throughout the season, providing another opportunity to get the handicap into shape!
Click Mens Competition Overview for a full list of upcoming mens competitions:
Click Mens Major Competitions for details of the club Major Trophy competitions.
There are Mens Singles, Mens Foursomes and Mixed Foursomes knockout competitions through the summer culminating on Finals Day in September. The top finishers in the Scratch Cup and Lamin Cup stroke play competitions also qualifying for knockout competitions.
Any member of the following membership categories may enter the club knockout competitions, subject to having played in a minimum of 3 Qualifying Competitions within the previous 12 months. Entries may be accepted from members with a valid handicap without such Qualifying criteria, although 3 Qualifying scores must be posted before the end of April for any member to continue playing in the competition:
7 day and 6 day
7 day and 6 day, aged 75+
Country member & Overseas member
Young member, aged 19 to 30
Junior member, aged 12 to 18
- Preliminary rounds of all knockouts are played over 18 holes. Mens finals (except the Scratch Cup) are played over 36 holes.
- If a player arrives on the 1st tee within 5 minutes of the allotted tee time, the penalty is loss of the 1st hole.
- Matches usually commence at the 1st tee. However, if both players (or teams) agree, play may commence from the 10th tee, except on Finals Day when all players commence from the 1st tee.
- Men play from the back tee distance markers (“tombstones”) in all knock-out competitions.
- In the event of a tie after the designated number of holes, play will recommence at the starting hole on a ‘sudden death’ play-off basis, with the handicap allowance repeated at the holes indicated by the stroke index.
- Each round must be completed by midnight of the day stated and the name(s) of the winner(s) entered on the appropriate draw sheet. The winner(s) are responsible for entering the result on the draw sheet.
- Finals are played on a day selected by the Competitions Committee. An alternate Finals Day is allocated, but this is to be used for any players who have qualified for more than one final ONLY and not for any other reason. Starting times on Finals Day are published once the participants are known.
We have two club teams, the Scratch (First) team and the Second Team, a more social team playing against other local clubs in the John Harrison (Lowdham) Summer League and in friendly fixtures. Mapperley also enters teams for the Notts Men’s and Mixed Interclub knock-out competitions in the summer and the Notts PGA Alliance throughout the winter.
For more information about matches and leagues click Mens Match Overview.
Please visit the Mens Handicaps page for information about how to obtain and maintain a handicap.